Friday, July 25, 2008

Thoughts about Savage Inequalities

I've been thinking about this for a little while now... that I've been reading this booked titled: Savage Inequalities by: Johnathan Kozol. The book speaks of the inequalities that poor kids are receiving, and more specifically educationally. There is much focus on government funding and the discrepancy between what the poor urban kids are getting versus the affluent, suburban students. The book writes that, in some states, the rich get 14 times more per student funding than their poorer counterparts. The book disputes the argument that "money does not make a difference in education quality", or that "money does not help kids learn". This book uses many examples to show and to even perhaps morally convict the reader to agree with the arguments. Not only sympathize, but be compelled to believe that way. They speak of children learning in factories, buildings that have not been attended in 50years. Teachers that need to teach in pantries, in closets because there is just no classroom space. The teachers in these poor urban areas have a ratio of 1:60, and who I am I kidding - I think this is ridiculous.

But, what an interesting (and I'll explain why I say interesting) is that Kozol continues to argue that the urban schools are getting less funding because there is less property tax in the urban areas (some of the buildings/houses are so horrendous, you can buy a house for $1000USD). Thus, less money form the taxes go to the schools in those areas. Hence, it's like a perpetual cycle that the poor people will remain poor.

But, that's not all. The court cases of 'equality' are brought to our attention. It is described to the reader that parents of these poor children and students bring the funding discrepancy it to the judges' and court's attention. Yet, some states refuse to allow a funding cut. Or, do not allow students from these poor schools to enter their rich and resource abundant school.

And, what I mean by interesting is that, if you read the text and what the text is conveying - it would be extremely difficult for a morally sensitive person to oppose any of it. By the way, we haven't even talked about private schools. This is only about public, government funded education.

What am I to think? How do I feel about this? Do I think that the rich should pay for the poor? Do I feel that the rich should let the poor kids into their schools? I fear that if I were to express my views, I might be stoned by the masses.

Somehow, I don't quite like this book. I think this coming academic year will be very interesting. This book "Savage Inequalities" was remarked on as a 'classic' book. And, I am currently in the "Inner City School" Option. mighty interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The correct way to fund education is to have it done through taxes, collected at the centre and ferreted out inversely proportional to factors like parental involvement, students' SES, etc.

However, in the real world, politicians that need to get reelected realise that families with a higher SES tend to donate more to campaigns, have time to follow the issues and make informed decisions. So, it will never be sorted.